Judge Jordan was appointed to the King County Superior Court in 1991 and served until July 2001. Before taking the bench, he served from 1975-1991 as a Commissioner of Division I of the Washington State Court of Appeals. He was law clerk to the Honorable Jerome Farris and the Honorable Keith M. Callow, and also served as an Assistant Public Defender for the State of Alaska.
Experience & Specialties
As a member of the Superior Court bench, Judge Jordan tried the full range of civil cases, including complex civil, marital dissolution, personal injury, asbestos, real property, discrimination, partnership dissolution, medical and legal malpractice, business litigation, real property, probate and construction litigation.
In his ten years on the bench, Judge Jordan conducted hundreds of settlement conferences and mediations involving virtually every kind of civil case.
He was a judge on the toxic torts panel, and specialized in settling asbestos cases. As an Appellate Court Commissioner, he conducted over 1,000 settlement conferences for civil cases on appeal. Judge Jordan is often asked to speak on trial and appellate practice.
He serves as a certified Neutral on the American Arbitration Association Panel of Arbitrators, completing the Arbitration Fundamentals and Best Practices for New AAA Arbitrators training in February, 2013, and as Special Master for the King County Washington Superior Court.
Among his publications are:
- “Laying out rules in the beginning: Mediation finds a home”
- The Alaska Bar Rag, October – December 2015, page 6
- Referenced in “Pressing On: Two Family-Owned Newspapers in the 21st Century”
- John C. Hughes, 201665, pages 196 & 197
- “Former case of Judge Larry Jordan”
- Featured in a Life of the Law Podcast (Episode 40 – Abuse, Abduction and International Law (concerning the Hague Convention)
- Posted by Jillian Weinberger on September 8, 2014 http://www.lifeofthelaw.org/eps40-reason-for-abduction/?s=podcast
- “Batter Up: Let’s Play Baseball Arbitration”
- King County Bar Association Bar Bulletin (November 2013)
- “Four Questions about the First Woman to Clerk at the United States Supreme Court”
- Washington State Bar News (November 2011)
- The Alaska Bar Rag (April – June 2012)
- Supreme Court Historical Society Quarterly, Number 4, 2012
- “The Calculus of Settlement”
- Washington State Bar News (June 1981)
- “Imposition of Terms and Compensatory Damages in Frivolous Appeals”
- Washington State Bar News (May 1980)
- Cited in Streater v. White 26 Wn. App. 430, at 435, 613 P.2d 187 (June 1980)
Special Honors & Memberships
- Recipient of the Family Law CASA of King County 4th Annual Mabry De Buys Memorial Award – April 21, 2015
- Rated one of the top judges in King County Judicial Evaluation Surveys in both 1994 and 1999
- Founding Board Member of Family Law CASA of King County
- Co-Chair of Individual Calendar 1994-1995
- Instructor, Pacific Area Review Writing Course (PAR); assisted over 1,000 bar exam applicants in passing the Washington State Bar Exam
- Member, Washington State Bar Association 1975 (presently inactive)
- Member, Alaska State Bar Association 1971 (presently inactive)
- Associate Comments Editor, Washington Law Review
- As a husband and father, Judge Jordan is also active in his local community.
J.D., University of Washington Law School, 1971
B.S., Economics, University of Oregon, 1967