Judge Heller was appointed to the King County Superior Court by Governor Chris Gregoire in 2007 and served for almost a decade. While on the bench, he was known for his expertise in handling complex civil matters, including class action, medical and legal malpractice, employment, personal injury, insurance and commercial cases. Prior to taking the bench, Judge Heller was a litigator for 25 years with an emphasis on labor and employment law.
Experience & Specialties
Judge Heller has handled numerous mediations and arbitrations across a wide range of civil cases. He is a panelist on the American Arbitration Association’s national roster of commercial arbitrators. Prior to joining JdR, he was an active settlement judge. He also served as a mediator and arbitrator while in private practice.
- King County Superior Court, 2007-2016
- Member, Court’s Executive Committee
- Chair, Court’s Personnel Committee
- Private practice, labor and employment law, 1982-2007
- Trial and appellate attorney, Alaska Public Defender Agency, 1979-1982
- Law clerk, Hon. James Fitzgerald, U.S. District Court, Anchorage, 1977-1978
- Washington Supreme Court WPI Committee, chair of sub-committee on employment law jury instructions, 2014-2016
- Faculty, Washington Judicial College – taught a course to new judges on discovery issues, 2015-2017
- Chair, Seattle Ethics and Elections Commission, 2005-2007
- UC Berkeley Law School, J.D. 1977
- Stanford University, B.A. with distinction, 1972