Experience & Specialties:
With more than 24 years of judicial service, Judge Lau brings a wealth of experience to mediation, arbitration and appellate and litigation consultation.
As a trial judge, Judge Lau presided over hundreds of jury trials including complex civil litigation in medical malpractice, business and commercial, employment, discrimination, personal injury, domestic relations, construction defect, insurance and other civil litigation.
As a seasoned appellate judge, who authored more than 400 opinions on almost every area of contemporary civil litigation, she brings both a trial and appellate judge’s perspective.
As a trial judge, she successfully settled countless cases in settlement conferences.
• 2008 to 2016 – Washington State Court of Appeals, Division One
• 1995 to 2008 – King County Superior Court
• 1992 to 1995 – King County District Court
• 1987 to 1992 – Private practice associate and partner, with emphasis on general litigation
• 1984 to 1987 – Criminal and civil deputy prosecuting attorney
• 2009 to 2014 – State Judicial Ethics Advisory Committee
• American Bar Association
• Washington State Bar Association
• King County Bar Association
• Washington Women Lawyers
• Asian Bar Association of Washington
Judge Lau is the daughter of Chinese immigrants. As a youth working in her parents’ small businesses, she learned the value of a strong work ethic. Judge Lau applied this ethic in judicial service and earned praise as a thoughtful and hardworking judge. She brings these traits to mediation, arbitration, and consultation.
J.D. University of Puget Sound School of Law (now Seattle University), 1983.
B.A. University of Washington, 1970.